Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Lord, Whatever It Takes Make Me Like You.....

If I had to intelligently verbalize what I need to say tonight I know I couldn't. There is a place that each of us sooner or later will go where things are truly between you and God. Everyone can give advice. Everyone can pray for you. Everyone could tell you what they would do....but when it all comes down it is between you and God. Which brings me to my laundry room. My laundry room is white and dull. The walls are white. The appliances are white. The rest of my house is painted in beautiful earthy tones. Deep rich olive and dark tans. But my laundry is really blah!!! A few months ago I set out searching for the perfect entry bench or stand to place in my laundry room to dress it up. It is a laundry room. It is meant to wash, dry and iron clothes. You bring all your filth in there! But since we use the garage to enter our house more than the front door, it is also the first room you see when you enter my house. I looked at catalogs, stores, online looking for this perfect piece of furniture. It had to be perfect and it had to be cheap! As you can imagine, that is a hard sell. Perfection, excellence, top notch but cheap. This past weekend Jeff decided to clean the garage since it was so warm outside. In the corner of my garage was a beat up, worn, tired looking four drawer desk that we had removed from our daughter's bedroom. We were going to place it in the attic but it was too heavy. Then we were going to give it away but we might use it again so stored in the corner it goes. Both Jeff and I said at the same time.....how would that look in the laundry room? It was filthy....I mean dirty sitting out in that garage. Jeff cleaned all the little "visitors" out for me (yuck) and then he sanded the top and fix the hardware on the drawers. Then I took rich furniture oil and coated it. We meticulously gave this desk love and attention. We appreciated it once again. What were we thinking getting rid of something simply because new was exciting and fresh. You should have seen it! It looked like something from a magazine! There was one wall in my laundry room made for this desk. Add a lamp and a couple of decorative items and I have a brand new laundry room. It absolutely completes that room! What in the world does this have to do with you? Has she really lost it now? As I walked in my home tonight after a long day and a mind that will not stop thinking, I was struck with the thought that just a few months ago I couldn't wait to get that desk out of my house. It was old, worn, tired...functional yes....but it wasn't new and exciting! With some attention, appreciation, and a humbling of what I thought I wanted turned into a beautiful display in my home. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Meg's new furniture but it doesn't shine like that old desk.

No comments:


Me Strong Woman

Me & My Man. ♥

About Me

My photo
I get to wake up every day a child of God, Mrs. Jeff Balentine and the mother of Scott and Megan Balentine. My son has an amazing fiance named Brandi! One "human" dog named Zoey and the rest you have to ask!