I hope you will really hear me on this post. When you talk about money with most people, well, we tend to bow up or shut down. Especially when you are talking about money in the church. Now talk about money anywhere else and it is o.k. Jeff and I got into this debate about a month ago. Let's say Jeff wants to buy the latest greatest tool. He has several options even in our small community. Jeff could care less if the cashier is getting paid, getting raises, happy in her life and so on. He wants the latest greatest tool. Truth be told the average person will probably choose between Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot and choose the lowest price. We do have other options some small Mom and Pop organizations but for the most part there are your choices. Jeff has found that no matter the price he likes one particular place the best. The staff is helpful. The place is clean. It is easy to find what you need and get out with very little trouble. But again......all Jeff knows is the same paint guy is usually there with a wealth of information. The floor guy (Jeff's personal favorite) is bubbly and extremely knowledgeable. He doesn't know how much they make or if their employer treats them well. All he knows is that he loves this place and supports it by his purchases. Now back to the uncomfortable subject....trust me I can talk from experience. I have been the abuser, taker, attender, giver and finally the obedient tither. At first I didn't know I wasn't educated, then I was educated and didn't care, then I cared but saw the abuse of it and then finally....Lord I get it! On that same debate, Jeff and I reminisced. We started attending a local church when first arriving to Millington. We immediately became involved. Morning, Noon and Night it felt like we were at that place! Do you know that every time it seems liked I was in that building there was one particular person who was always there as well, Debbie the church secretary. If I needed, wanted, CAN YOU HELP ME...there she was...a smile on her face..but an edgy smile. I didn't realize until lately that edgy smile was exhaustion. Did she attend Sunday School? Nope she gave up on that a long time ago. Did she have a particular ministry to call her own...Nope....too many interruptions. I had been attending the church for about 4 of the 11 years we attended and decided to make a business meeting all 40 of us~ It was pretty mild when they were discussing vacuum cleaners or replacing the sign out front that had been there for a gazillion years. But oh it did get fiery when they talked about annual raises. Back and forth the conversation escalated. Till finally, my Pastor stopped it. And here is what he said that I will never forget...."cut where you want from me....but that lady is invaluable (pointing to Debbie)." Did you not see it before people? I looked over at the person growling "it is too much money"....wait a minute....wasn't Debbie just up here last week with you helping you with your husband's funeral after hours??? That is how low it had gotten. I looked at Debbie and she sat quietly brushing a tear away now and then. Alot of fighting back and forth later and it was over. She got her raise but at what cost? But what if she didn't? How deep would that have cut NOT JUST into her pocketbook and family budget but into her spirit? This was a roadmap....a diary if you will...into my future. God said look, take it in, don't callous up your heart to these matters.....because I am about to take you, Theresa, on a journey that will one day look like tonight. Remember. Back to the local community...what if just tonight as you go out to eat remember that waitress really doesn't make that much. How about the front desk person at the hotels in our community. How is she or he treated? What about the gas station attendant in that glass COLD booth just trying to make a living for their family. How about the man who will wake up in the middle of 18 degree nights just to make sure your lights come back on or your cable is fixed. Do you think if they had a choice they would remain? If they were not being appreciated financially or emotionally they wouldn't stay for long. And then tomorrow when you are at your local body of worship...look at your staff, NOT JUST, the ministers but those who keep the plates spinning...look into their faces. Hug them. Pray for them. Befriend them. It is in the "behind the scenes people " that are some of the greatest people you would ever want to meet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Me Strong Woman
Me & My Man. ♥
About Me
- Theresa
- I get to wake up every day a child of God, Mrs. Jeff Balentine and the mother of Scott and Megan Balentine. My son has an amazing fiance named Brandi! One "human" dog named Zoey and the rest you have to ask!
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(130)
-
▼
January
(31)
- The sweet spot
- Sorry one more thing....
- You know you are old when....
- You know you hit a nerve when........
- To be or not to be......
- Now what?
- Wow! What a week...
- Momma says "Stupid is as stupid does"
- Oompa Loopa Doopity Doo
- "I'm gonna make her an offer she can't refuse" Cap...
- The Great Debate PART 3
- An Evening with my Mom
- The Great Debate Part 2
- The Great Debate Part 1
- People who think they know what they’re doing are ...
- Wow!
- And then there was peace....
- What a week!
- Alice in Wonderland
- Fetch This!
- No matter what you do there will be critics and co...
- Isn't she lovely....so beautiful
- Dinosaurs say bite me, scratch me, make me sad
- Watch out for the mush.....
- Lord, Whatever It Takes Make Me Like You.....
- Back To The Future
- Is anyone listening out there?
- Thanks for the memories.....
- For those of you who have my sense of humor......
- Would you like to try some SCOOTERS?
- Should old acquaintance be forgot.......
-
▼
January
(31)
No comments:
Post a Comment