Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Doris Marie Feathers Graves.....My Mom

Today was my Mom's last chemo. She is so tired and so sick but she is done with the poison. She fought hard and stayed strong. And through it all of course praised Him. I know you might be expecting Jeff's blog. It is ready to go but not tonight. Tonight belongs to her. My Mom was born a share cropper's daughter. We use to sing the Loretta Lynn's song and change the words. My Mom was the baby girl with my late Uncle Jimmy being the baby. Five children and two adults in a two room shack. There were actually six children but God called one home early. She once showed me the place where they grew up. I tried my best to imagine living in it and couldn't. All three girls shared the same bed, clothes, shoes and lots and lots of hours in the field. It was not that my Mom was not loved, oh she was, but she was born for one reason to work the cotton fields. She still has the scars on her hands from endless back breaking hours of hard work. Could you imagine complaining about cleaning your room to my Momma??? As far back as I can possibly remember I knew four things......I was loved by my Momma and Dad unconditionally and deeply, my brothers would always be there for me, my Mom and Dad were so stinkin' in love and my Momma loved this man named Jesus. I didn't know Him like she did but there was no doubt in my mind that He existed and she loved Him with all that is in her. It was a passion passed on from her Mom. You could never get in trouble that Mom was not throwing something about Jesus in the mix. I don't care what you are complaining about my Mom has a scripture to encourage, rebuke, convince or convict. If you complained about a bully she told you to pray for them. If you complained about not having she reminded you what you had. She constantly and consistently encouraged me on the type of man I should marry but never who....she said just like your Dad, you will know. She met and fell in love with my Dad shortly after high school. All she wanted to be was Mrs. James "Jimmy" Graves and be a Mom. My Dad then and now loves noone like his lady. At a very young age and with four small children my Mom had her first mountain. Her husband went completely blind. Total retina detachment. I can remember my Mom carefully and lovingly changing my Dad's bandages after numerous eye surgeries and feeding him. I had a beautiful example of how marriage should be at a very young age. The one thing I can't remember EVER was my Mom complaining. And of course she praised Him. We struggled even though I never knew it. I knew we didn't have materials things others had but I never felt unloved. I know there were times my parents did not eat and yet we did. I know they went without out to make sure we had. And still over and over again she praised Him. When I finally called Him Lord and Savior, it took our relationship to another level. I finally got why she loved Jesus so much. I love to talk to my Mom about Jesus. Have you ever talked to someone who is so passionate about something it just spills over with excitement. That is how my Mom feels about our Lord. She was there for every moment in my life. From my wedding day to the birth of her grandchildren, sickness, long cries and long talks and every school program and birthday party in between. My Mom showered her family with unconditional love. And then about two years ago she diagnosed with her biggest mountain....cancer. She has surpassed every doctor's prediction. Even when my Mom was told this is treatable but never curable, she didn't face it with defeat. She faced it like she does everything in her life, with complete and total trust in the Lord and unquestionable faith in Him. God's Hands, God's Plan is her saying over and over again. I can not tell you the people she has touched over the past two years. So many have fallen in love with her as I knew they would. I have seen her in some agonizing moments. I have seen her in pain, very real dark pain. And yet over and over again she will remind you of people she knows about who are worse off than she is. She is quick to take the attention off herself and onto someone else in need. And of course through it all she has praised Him from the top of her lungs and to anyone who will listen. I am proud and honored to say I am your daughter. I pray I could just be a fourth of the woman you are and pass on the passion you live every day for the glory of God. I love you Momma and I celebrate with you a new road! Now bring on Spring...warm weather, sunshine and planting in your garden!

No comments:


Me Strong Woman

Me & My Man. ♥

About Me

My photo
I get to wake up every day a child of God, Mrs. Jeff Balentine and the mother of Scott and Megan Balentine. My son has an amazing fiance named Brandi! One "human" dog named Zoey and the rest you have to ask!