What a week! I don't know about you but I think this week was 14 days long. It has been crazy! I need about that long to get everything I need to get accomplished! The weirdest thing happened this week. I had a conversation with someone at my church about the administrative assistants on the same day that another company we are associated with decided to "redefine" their assistants. Now don't get we wrong I have proudly been a secretary, administrative or executive secretary for most of my career years but I do agree that the career has evolved. No longer is it just to serve your superior, get his coffee and type his letters. You must be proficient in the latest computer software and multi-media programs. You must educate yourself or get instruction somehow...somewhere. Bottom line, you must adapt to the current work environment. I guess that is why my son sees more of my age college students than his own age. You have to stay at the top of your game in order to compete. I do believe though it is a double edged sword. The mentality is that you don't need assistants in a world that at the touch of a button you can make your own agenda, calendar and travel arrangements. They believe you don't need a secretary answering your phone when all you need is an automatic operator that once again at a push of button have the person you want. And today, most young adults can type faster than we ever could even if some of the words are spelled OMG, ROTFL, BFF...you get the point. But like so many different aspects of the business world, you loose a level of customer service. Seriously....how frustrated do you get with this..."Push 1 if you need Bill, push 2 if you need Kim...push 77.......get my point? What if you had to do this calling your child's school or how about your church? I know it is going to sound like I am a traitor, but I sort of agree with ditching the old persona of a secretary. I believe some of the greatest women I know who are currently assistants have a lot more to give their employers than "how do you take your coffee?" Get your own coffee! However, I don't believe in getting rid of hard working men and women like trash. I do love the fact that we are redefining what women can do in the workforce, since face it, women are the majority of assistants. In this very tight economy, organizations are looking for the most bang for their buck. Unfortunately, no matter where you look it has been a dog eat dog mentality in the workforce. I praise God that He has given me a desire over the past years to constantly want to learn more. I have never had the mindset of just watching. I want to know why and how! Once again, my Lord preparing me for my future. I also must say with only a couple of exceptions, I have had employers who respected what I had to offer and gave me the training I needed! I guess that is what makes my current career so exciting. They want their employees at the top of their games and are willing to invest in the instruction and education of their most valuable asset their employees. Again...my life is witness to whatever my daughter desires to be. If she chooses to be a rocket scientist or the best homemaker I hope I have given her an example of a career based on my own potential and abilities and not just a definition defined by men.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Me Strong Woman
Me & My Man. ♥
About Me
- Theresa
- I get to wake up every day a child of God, Mrs. Jeff Balentine and the mother of Scott and Megan Balentine. My son has an amazing fiance named Brandi! One "human" dog named Zoey and the rest you have to ask!
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(130)
-
▼
March
(16)
- It is time.....
- If not for cancer...
- God is so good!
- I Am Content
- Ode to the Blue and Maroon!
- The Million Dollar Email Question
- Friends......
- Wanted: Relevant and Real...or don't bother
- Seriously????????
- My Amazing Meg
- What a week!
- What does my reflection show?
- 60 years of memories
- Make no small plans for they have no power to stir...
- Let is snow...let it snow...let it snow....
- Get your own coffee!
-
▼
March
(16)
No comments:
Post a Comment