I know every mother is bias. Our kids are the greatest, most intelligent, compassionate, beautiful, blah blah blah. I hate to be the one to type it for you but my kids really are all of the above! Every once in awhile they will do something that literally makes my eyes water with pride. Take for instance, my Meg. Meg has been looking forward to band camp all Summer long. She was (by her teacher's award not mine) the top drummer of BMS last year. She leaves, eats, breathes, practices, studies, oozes drumming. She didn't think she would walk into band camp and just because she was MEGAN the rock star from BMS make the marching line filled with juniors and seniors, no she was not cocky about it at all. She felt she had worked all Summer to deserve a shot. She did the work. Trust me...we knew she did the work. SHE BEAT ON EVERYTHING. So today was the big day. FIRST DAY. I am going in there and strut my stuff. She walked in full of confidence and guess what happened? The Percussionist coach said o.k. You, you, you and you are on the marching line and you and you are going to play mirambas (if I am spelling that right). WHAT?? She said she could feel the tears but did not dare show them. Oh my tears well up just thinking how that must have felt with her. No shot? No try out? JUST BECAUSE I AM A GIRL? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? But then she did something very mature, very strong, very brave....she surrendered. The thought of not being able to play the instruments she had worked so hard and long to achieve...was overwhelming but at least she would be marching. In walked John...by her own admission (a Senior hottie) who would be her teacher for the next three weeks. She decided if this was the instrument she would play, she would give it 100%. Now for those of you who are wondering the mirambas are the xylophones with the big furry drumsticks. John patiently taught this freshman the routine. And low and behold, as my Lord will always do, He decided to give a spirit boost to the weary and reward her all at the same time. As the story goes, the Senior asked her "you think you got a raw deal don't you?" It turns out this position is only for the ones who have mastered the drums it also calls for a guaranteed solo with the SENIORS! The last text I had received from my baby girl had said "I am dying inside". I thought I would have this long faced sad child climb into the truck. And yet I had a laughing, tired, worn out, but very happy mature young woman climb into the truck. Call it what you will, perceptions, glass half full, optimistic, choosing to take the high road. Whatever. My girl rocks and I am not talking about the drums! She could have taken this day as a defeat but decided she was bigger than the problem that was trying to break her! How brave! I love you little Schwan! Oh....the title....Megan has been dying for lemon lime Nikes...the only place I could get them was from Hong Kong.. go figure.......It is near boring being me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Me Strong Woman
Me & My Man. ♥
About Me
- Theresa
- I get to wake up every day a child of God, Mrs. Jeff Balentine and the mother of Scott and Megan Balentine. My son has an amazing fiance named Brandi! One "human" dog named Zoey and the rest you have to ask!
No comments:
Post a Comment