Monday, April 28, 2008

My Oh Miley

Well several of my friends asked me to weigh in on the whole Miley Cyrus picture controversy. I must admit I haven't been in a controversial conversation on this blog well since I left a very controversial place. Trust me you don't even want to get me started on that one! However, I did want to give my two cents worth in on this issue. I have several friends who are also mothers of teenage girls. We all agree on the key issue however we vary on the rest. How do you feel? Here is my opinion regarding raising my teenage girl. A very pretty teenage girl. There is not a day that goes by that my girl does not try to push the boundaries that we place in front of her. Is she rebellious? NO! She is 14. They push you stand strong. They step over the line you have drawn and you push them back over OR SOMETIMES you give a little and draw another line. It is a give and take tug of war called parenting! It is not for the wimps and idiots. You are not their friends YOU ARE THEIR PARENTS! Now...here is where I vary with a couple of my friends. I love Megan's sense of fashion and sometimes lack of it. She is so unique. One day she dresses punk the next she will be a prep. And YES...sometimes she tries to dress provocatively...that is when we say "try it again" before she exits our home. But there are times that I like the mature, trendy style of clothes she is wearing. She wears them well and I love to see what "look" she will pull off. I believe you can dress trendy, modern and relevant without looking like a slut. AND THE LAST THING I WANT is my child dressing like one of women from the Texas Polygamist compound. How much hair spray does it take to make all those women look EXACTLY alike?...Aquanet must love those people. No wonder so many have so many wives you can't tell them apart. So how do you strike a happy medium? Well that depends on your daughter. Megan has one friend that is perfectly happy to throw on a t-shirt and pair of jeans, hair barely brushed and she looks beautiful. Another of her friends wears more make up than I would ever WANT Megan to wear. Does Meg wear make up? Yes! But she knows how to apply where it accents her beauty. And some days she can do without make up! It is HER CHOICE to select her style as long as she is not advertising sensuality at age 14. That is why I have a problem with the whole "naked sheet" picture of Miley Cyrus. Someone convinced her, her parents and her agents that this was beautiful or as they called it "artsy". It will be art alright on the walls of a whole sleuth of perverted nasty men who will think ANY 14 to 15 girl will be theirs for the taking. Billy Ray....do you know the thoughts that will be provoked because of that picture about your daughter. Thoughts that will make you mullet stand on end. So agree or disagree with me that is alright but I bet you will agree with the sincere fact that this crazy world is taking the innocence of our precious children away a little condoned bit at a time. The walls (if any) of immoral behavior are very easy to jump over but I chose to desperately try to build a good solid wall of moral defense around my daughter through prayer, interaction, involvement, support,guidance, relationship and yes...even...rules, limitations, BOUNDARIES and loving nosiness! Can they still go astray? Life does not come with guarantees. However, as her parent I will not place her in front of the train or in this case in front of a camera.

1 comment:

Scott Balentine said...

I completely agree with ya! I think it is really stupid that her parents were okay with her posing like that. She's going to turn into the next Britney Spears, I'm sure. Oh well, that's Hollywood!


Me Strong Woman

Me & My Man. ♥

About Me

My photo
I get to wake up every day a child of God, Mrs. Jeff Balentine and the mother of Scott and Megan Balentine. My son has an amazing fiance named Brandi! One "human" dog named Zoey and the rest you have to ask!