So this was the big week! Megan was going on her first flight. Now for those who fly all the time you are probably thinking no big deal right? Well, for my 14 year old it was a HUGE deal. And I was proud of the fact that her Dad and I made sure it was exactly that. We flew to Chicago and then to Columbus. A little weird schedule I know but it was exactly what was meant to be. So many screw ups and mishaps and this town, this time, this hotel, this vacation was exactly what we needed. The first thing I noticed about Columbus was EVERYBODY seemed to be outside downtown. Everyone was walking around, walking their dogs, women and men jogging at night! Yes, I am from Memphis where you can't even run around your own living room in the middle of the day without fear of getting shot! So this was a shocker! Everyone was nice and kind. I didn't feel fearful. I felt at such ease. The highlight of the week was taking Jeff and Meg Meg to a rock concert. Now you would not think I was grateful for a nagging back but I must admit before the night was over I was praising God for that nagging back. On top of getting out of the "mosh" pit my lovely family was in the middle, the most amazing thing happen. I struck up a conversation with the band's manager whom invited me to sit and watch the show off to the side. The best seat in the house. Then I got to sit by the opening band's members and talk to them about this precious baby girl who has been such a helper and comforter to her Mom over the past couple of years. Who has acted older than her years and taken on extra responsibilities for her family. When the concert was over they spoiled her with attention, signed t-shirts and loads of pictures. It was a magical "Mom" moment. Well, if that wasn't enough while sitting in the lobby here came the same band through the doors. They were staying at the same hotel! I was quickly reminded that just because someone has tatoos, has long hair, sings in a rock band and jumps around on stage like a crazy man it doesn't mean they are drug addicts wanting to molest your daughters. In fact, as I talked to these young men I heard of young boys who miss their families, who HATE college kids who drink because of what they turn to, who are living their dreams. The most impressive thing they did after performing all night and shaking the hands of a thousand people...they called Megan by name. Do you know how that made her feel? Do you know how it makes people feel we are deliberately kind, thoughtful, focused on their needs? It touches a life possibly forever. Maybe some 20 to 25 years from now when Megan's child asked her did she and her parents do anything cool or memorable....I am sure a story will start..."well there was this one night in Columbus......".
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
You Learn Something New Everyday.....
So this was the big week! Megan was going on her first flight. Now for those who fly all the time you are probably thinking no big deal right? Well, for my 14 year old it was a HUGE deal. And I was proud of the fact that her Dad and I made sure it was exactly that. We flew to Chicago and then to Columbus. A little weird schedule I know but it was exactly what was meant to be. So many screw ups and mishaps and this town, this time, this hotel, this vacation was exactly what we needed. The first thing I noticed about Columbus was EVERYBODY seemed to be outside downtown. Everyone was walking around, walking their dogs, women and men jogging at night! Yes, I am from Memphis where you can't even run around your own living room in the middle of the day without fear of getting shot! So this was a shocker! Everyone was nice and kind. I didn't feel fearful. I felt at such ease. The highlight of the week was taking Jeff and Meg Meg to a rock concert. Now you would not think I was grateful for a nagging back but I must admit before the night was over I was praising God for that nagging back. On top of getting out of the "mosh" pit my lovely family was in the middle, the most amazing thing happen. I struck up a conversation with the band's manager whom invited me to sit and watch the show off to the side. The best seat in the house. Then I got to sit by the opening band's members and talk to them about this precious baby girl who has been such a helper and comforter to her Mom over the past couple of years. Who has acted older than her years and taken on extra responsibilities for her family. When the concert was over they spoiled her with attention, signed t-shirts and loads of pictures. It was a magical "Mom" moment. Well, if that wasn't enough while sitting in the lobby here came the same band through the doors. They were staying at the same hotel! I was quickly reminded that just because someone has tatoos, has long hair, sings in a rock band and jumps around on stage like a crazy man it doesn't mean they are drug addicts wanting to molest your daughters. In fact, as I talked to these young men I heard of young boys who miss their families, who HATE college kids who drink because of what they turn to, who are living their dreams. The most impressive thing they did after performing all night and shaking the hands of a thousand people...they called Megan by name. Do you know how that made her feel? Do you know how it makes people feel we are deliberately kind, thoughtful, focused on their needs? It touches a life possibly forever. Maybe some 20 to 25 years from now when Megan's child asked her did she and her parents do anything cool or memorable....I am sure a story will start..."well there was this one night in Columbus......".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Me Strong Woman
Me & My Man. ♥
About Me
- Theresa
- I get to wake up every day a child of God, Mrs. Jeff Balentine and the mother of Scott and Megan Balentine. My son has an amazing fiance named Brandi! One "human" dog named Zoey and the rest you have to ask!
No comments:
Post a Comment